Subject: Re: daily CVS update output
To: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/1998 06:28:37
Thus spake Tom I Helbekkmo
> > 2. the PostgreSQL team have put back time-travel (rather than
> > insisting it's done at "the user level")
>
> Time travel is officially removed in 6.3.  I agree with you that it
> ought to have been left in, but the consensus among the developers
> seemed to be that it was not worth the effort (and performance hit) to
> properly fix and keep it, when it could, as you say, be done at the
> user level.

I'm one of those just as happy to see it go.  Sure it was a "cool"
thing but there were so few real applications for it that it wasn't
worth the performance hit.  Especially now that there are working
triggers, you can always do what you want and not even at the user
level but at the database design level.

> > 3. the PostgreSQL team have picked up the other changes in the
> > patches directory (from FreeBSD and NetBSD)
>
> Are there actual changes there that are not merely intended to get the
> system to work on these platforms?  Hardware-specific fixes for other
> NetBSD platforms than Sparc, VAX and Intel?  PostgreSQL 6.3 works on
> both NetBSD and FreeBSD, and one of the central team of developers
> uses FreeBSD on his development system (and also has an @FreeBSD.org
> email address, for what that's worth).

And I'm tracking both NetBSD current and PostgreSQL current and I have
no problems compiling and running it.