Subject: README: changes to a.out ld(8) command-line options
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/1998 19:17:19
I've just committed changes to ld(8) to add emulation of GNU binutils
2.x ld command-line options.  This is for for compatibility with ELF
ports, and to aid migration to bintils, and (eventually) to use a
single syntax for our toolchain, e.g., when making shared libraries in
the pkg collection.

The following options are now recognized by the a.out ld(8):

  -rpath dir: equivalent to -R dir
  -shared:  equivalent to  -Bshareable
  -soname <version>:  currently ignored
  --whole-archive: equivaleent to -Bforcearchive
  --no-whole-archive: ignored

Note that the last three are not completely identical to binutils,.
The ld(8) manpage has more details.

I've tested this on an i386 and rebuilt a libc.so using the ELF-style
qualifiers.

The only risk of danger is that some single-letter flag combinations,
e.g, `-shared', can no longer be combined into one option: if you try,
you will get the new long-option semantics.

As usual, send any problems with send-pr(8).

And a heads-up: the /usr/share/mk files will be updated in a couple of
days to use the new syntax.  Be sure to rebuild and reinstall ld
before then!