Subject: Re: Compiling gdb
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/1998 18:50:30
> /usr/src/gnu/dist/gdb/arm-xdep.c includes "arm-opcode.h" I cannot find
> this file anywhere. Apparently it defines the likes of
> PT_READ_U PT_WRITE_U PC SHLIBLEN corefile corechan data_start etc.
> The only definition of SHLIBLEN I found is in
> /usr/src/gnu/dist/bfd/riscix.c which obviously isn't a header
> file. Where can I find a suitable replacement?

The GDB in NetBSD-current doesn't compile (let alone run) on NetBSD/arm32
port.

Not a great solution, but the source tar files referenced off of:

	http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/iag/info/new-soft.html

(Go to "Download DNARD Software", then look at the license stuff, then
accept them, and you get to a download page; the "full sources" tar
file there.)

Contains sources for a working(-ish) gdb and a working assembler for
the arm32 port.  (Sorry it's so much to download...  8-)

(Note that most of the NetBSD sources in those tarballs are of a
NetBSD 1.2.1 vintage, with lots of local ingredients.  I'd not trust
the rest of them on a -current system, but gdb, gas, gcc, and probably
the linker/shared loader should be pretty safe.  "Be careful!" if
you're trying to build your whole system from scratch; if you manage
to muck things up, well, sorry, but it's not my fault.  FWIW, we hope
to be shipping some 1.3-based sources + binaries in a few weeks. 8-)

I don't know why the GDB changes aren't in the -current source tree.
Mark has them (in fact, he gave them to me! 8-).  He probably just
hasn't had time to munge the changes into the right form so they can
be stuffed into NetBSD.

GAS is more understandable: NetBSD's GAS is very old, and nothing like
the GAS used on the arm.  Getting that into the NetBSD source tree
would be a big pain...

cgd