Subject: Re: daily CVS update output
To: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@hamartun.priv.no>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/1998 02:19:24
> On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 05:08:19AM -0800, NetBSD source update wrote:
>
> > Updating pkgsrc tree:
> > [...]
> > U pkgsrc/databases/postgresql/Makefile
>
> Anyone going "Whee!": don't bother.  PostgreSQL 6.3 will be released
> on March 1 (modulo any really bad unforeseen problems between now and
> then), and will drop right into NetBSD 1.3.  I run the current beta
> under NetBSD/sparc and NetBSD/vax, and others have checked that it
> also works with NetBSD/i386.  NetBSD/alpha is more doubtful -- it is
> unclear whether the 32/64 fixes will be ready by release time.  Most
> other NetBSD platforms will be very, very easy to get running for
> someone who is able to implement a simple test-and-set spin lock for
> the hardware in question in assembly.
>
> Check out <http://www.postgresql.org/> for info and announcements.

Whilst this is great news (with my packages hat on), I'd like to know if:

1. the PostgreSQL team have restored case-sensitivity to field and table
names in 6.3
2. the PostgreSQL team have put back time-travel (rather than insisting
it's done at "the user level")
3. the PostgreSQL team have picked up the other changes in the patches directory
(from FreeBSD and NetBSD)
4. have worked out how to do non-ASCII character sets in a sane manner.

And Postgres 4.1 used to work on the Alpha fine, albeit under Ultrix, I
think it was called then - what happened?

Alistair