Subject: Re: -current libc.so.12.25 problems
To: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@serv1.eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 02/17/1998 23:45:06
> I get core dumps and bad behaviour from programs linked against the
> shared libc. All these programs have been compiled before the following
> change to src/lib/libc/gen/errlist.c (1.8 1998/02/08 19:07:13 kleink) came up:
>
> 143a145,150
> >       "Authentication error",                 /* 80 - EAUTH */
> >       "Need authenticator",                   /* 81 - ENEEDAUTH */
> >
> > /* SystemV IPC */
> >       "Identifier removed",                   /* 82 - EIDRM */
> >       "No message of desired type",           /* 83 - ENOMSG */
>
> Is it possible for this change to break old programs?

Yes. Programs that reference `sys_errlist[]' directly, import both
the name and the size (since it's a data item) from the library at
link time.

Hence, any change to the size of the array constitutes an incompatible
interface change that should result in a new major version number.

Since we're not ready yet to bump the major on libc, these additions
must be implemented using the `internal versioning' scheme.

-pk