Subject: Re: serial port control
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1998 23:26:42
Ty Sarna writes:
>Next thought: it'd be nice to come up with a generic UPS daemon
>interface with standard support for network shutdowns (The big
>2200VA unit here supports 5 machines... I want all of them shut down,
>not just the one that's serial-connected!).

I handle this by having the machine that is physically attatched to the
UPS and monitoring it with apcmon send its syslog output (for local6)
to the other machines that rely on that UPS.  These machines run
apcwatch which is a similar script, but just gets its info from syslog.
You then configure the "watchers" to shutdown sometime before the
monitor host.  A bit tricky here because one of my watchers is the
NFS server that the monitor host relies on :-)  I really need
a multi-port com card :-)

--sjg