Subject: Re: serial port control
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 02/12/1998 23:52:19
> I've seen switching PS's that have been fried and the only
> explanations possible are either that the square-wave "U"PS (they're
> not usually truly un-interruptible -- though the timings are quite
> fast compared to all the old-fashioned ones) caused the damage, or
> some really wicked spikes got through as the power failed.

This danger is the price you pay for a cutover UPS, and it's the reason
I want a continuous-conversion UPS!  What's the cutover time?  Three
milliseconds, say?  That means a submillisecond spike - whatever its
origin - will get through.

> One would think though that the spikes would have damaged the UPS
> too....

The UPS is presumably more powerline-trash-tolerant than the power
supply in question....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca