Subject: Re: presto support?
To: None <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1998 19:17:07
>We could be blamed for loss of user data when we had nothing to do
>with it just because the luser was clueless and didn't realize that
>the Win95 kernel he's dual-booting is flaky.

And if data is lost because it's our msdosfs that's flaky?
Where's the difference, other than `prestoserve is special'?

>I don't agree that this
>is a valid concern - if we do a prestoserve, and we don't have
>documentation to make it completely compatible, then we should just
>say "DON'T SHARE THIS FS BETWEEN OPERATING SYSTEMS" in large,
>prominent, unfriendly letters in the documentation.

Fine with me.  But saying "IF YOU ENABLE PRESTOSERVE, DON'T SHARE
_ANY_ FS BETWEEN OPERATING SYSTEMS", might be better.  (Along with
making sure we do a good job of syncing dirty data on shutdown).