Subject: Re: presto support?
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1998 15:54:31
On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> >> You can get the same effect by mounting evrything async. Live dangerously.
> >
> >You forgot the smiley.  There are way too many users depending on this
> >machine.
> >
> >Chris
> >

> Oh, okay. :-).
>
> No, seriously- a lot of mainframe class environments will even do this.
>
> For example, I've seen the internals of ConvexOS where all buffers
> whether marked B_ASYNC or not or pushed onto the delwri queue. They
> just don't tell users this happens.

	All SGI machines do this by default over NFS 2 - its actually
	a protocol violation but they justify it by pointing at the
	performance gain.

	When you have an O2000 with close to a GB of buffer cache crash
	repeatedly due to ATM problems trashing dozens on scenes you start
	to wonder how much of a gain it really is.
	(We went through some severe growing pains with them a while back)

		David/absolute