Subject: Re: UVM option
To: c5666305 <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1998 16:31:30
   Hello,

   I am a little bit confused about the UVM option.  I had tried to make
   kernel with UVM option for my i386 system. However, I do not know how to
   make build with UVM option as my kernel report corrected bogus mmap for
   some program like tail.  Can anyone tell me the steps to make build with
   UVM (examples are appreciate).  Thanks.

that message from the kernel means you are running a UVM kernel.  it only
exists in the UVM source tree.  what it means is that tail(1) uses an old
interface to mmap(2) (assuming that flags of `0' [MAP_FILE] by itself is
ok.  you need one of MAP_{PRIVATE,SHARED,COPY} also).

to build with UVM support in userland, you need to add this to /etc/mk.conf:

	UVM=yes

and rebuild the world.  (actually, just libkvm, ps, pstat, w, systat, vmstat
and rpc.rstatd).

.mrg.