Subject: Re: serial port control
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1998 13:04:19
Ken Hornstein writes:
>Oh, one last note .... I chose my UPS size by adding up the total
>wattage ratings on all of my equipment and I ended up with a UPS that
>can power my computer for ninety minutes :-)  I plan on putting a few
>more computers on it, but it's still _really_ overpowered ... you may
>or may not consider this a feature, but if your budget is tight, you
>can probably get by on a much smaller UPS than you think.

I think 90 min is good.  My 1250VA UPS drives upto 4 computers
(including 2 x 17" colour monitors) and will last about 20-30 min.
If the sun386i and its monitor are turned off that doubles :-)
I find it very handy when there is a lightning storm to be
able to just reach under the desk and unplug everything from the wall
and wait for the gap b/w lightning and thunder to grow to
an acceptible level (guess who's computer got fried by lightning
a few years ago :-)

--sjg