Subject: Re: serial port control
To: Ken Hornstein <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1998 12:03:51
Ken Hornstein <> writes:
> Y'all should check out:

Thanks!  I hadn't seen that one.

I guess I'll order one of these units for my netbsd box after all.

Perhaps this or a similar deamon could go into the netbsd ports?

> Back-UPS (_and_ the Smart-UPS/VS .... I made that mistake :-/).

Its not clear to me yet that sine wave output wins.  Square wave
should be more efficient since you don't have the big dead-time
between, the two peaks.  If the load is your typical PC switching
power supply then it would really prefer to have the full ~170v peak
voltage applied all the time.  The down side of square waves is a
touch more RFI noise.  As an aside, normal DC-DC converters are sqare
wave internally, as are switching supplies.  It just doesn't pay to
round the corners of the wave unless one is running a motor or
transformer or something like it that will get very upset at the high
dv/dt of the square waves.

Wolfgang Rupprecht    <>
	  Never trust a program you don't have sources for.