Subject: Re: serial port control
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1998 14:01:20
>if you send 2 stop bits.  The protocols don't appear to be officially
>documented and the back-UPS pro and smart UPS appear to talk different
>serial line protocols.  Only the back-UPS pro line appears to have any
>3-rd party support, and many of the details of the protocol are only
>guessed at.

Y'all should check out:

http://www.quick.com.au/sjg/apcmon.html

Okay, it _is_ reverse-engineered, but it works .... and it's supported
under NetBSD :-)

One additional comment: if you can afford it, I would go with the APC
Smart-UPS, because they are a full sine wave UPS, as opposed to the
Back-UPS (_and_ the Smart-UPS/VS .... I made that mistake :-/).

--Ken