Subject: recent panic
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1998 22:04:41
	I've got a machine that keeps panicking and I've been trying to
figure out what's going on.  I'm not really sure I'm understanding the
panic messages correctly.  Here's the panic message:

---------
vm_fault(0xf09d5e00, 0, 3, 0) -> 1
fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 2 eip f0142884 cs 8 eflags 10202 cr2 30 cpl c000cc00
panic: trap
syncing disks... vm_fault(0xf09d5e00, 0, 1, 0) -> 1
fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 0 eip f0134a08 cs 8 eflags 10206 cr2 808 cpl c000c400
panic: trap

dumping to dev 401, offset 8
dump 128 ahc0: WARNING no command for scb 0 (cmdcmplt)
QOUTCNT == 0
127 ... 3 2 1
area improper
-------

Part 1:	Am I correct in assuming that the first vm_fault means something
is trying to access page 0?  The 3 means it's trying to make it read/write?
(The 1 in the 2nd vm_fault is read, I think).
Trap type 6 is page fault, but what is code 2?  Also is cr2 the actual
address being accessed?
I tracked it down to vm_map_pageable complaining with an invalid address
return value.

Part 2: what's up with the ahc error message?  I tried using gdb to
take a look at what was going on (gdb netbsd, target kcore netbsd.core)
but is kept core dumping.  Could this be because the core dump didn't
get writting quite right?  (the "area improper" message?)

TIA,
eric