Subject: Re: UVM build problem
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1998 13:05:57
Brad Salai wrote:
> I tried to build a sparc kernel with UVM support and got the following:

[ snip -- don't know about this part ]

> I set up the config file like this:
>
> ## Virtual memory configuration.  There are two choices, the old Mach
> ## based VM system, or the new UVM system.  Old VM requires the pager
> ## options.
> #options        OLDVM           # MACH VM
> #options         SWAPPAGER       # swap paging
> #options         DEVPAGER        # paging to devices
> #options         VNODEPAGER      # paging to vnodes
> options         UVM             # UVM VM
>
> but there is some strangeness, if I try with the pager options set, like this:
>
> config          netbsd  root on ? type ?
>
> ## Virtual memory configuration.  There are two choices, the old Mach
> ## based VM system, or the new UVM system.  Old VM requires the pager
> ## options.
> #options        OLDVM           # MACH VM
> options         SWAPPAGER       # swap paging
> options         DEVPAGER        # paging to devices
> options         VNODEPAGER      # paging to vnodes
> options         UVM             # UVM VM
> APOLLO: 482 lines, 17160 characters
> law:conf {113} config APOLLO
> APOLLO:41: already have options `SWAPPAGER'
> APOLLO:42: already have options `DEVPAGER'
> APOLLO:43: already have options `VNODEPAGER'
> *** Stop.
>
> Which looks like they are being set elsewhere.

Take a look at std.sparc(?).  It should still contain the PAGER options
(at least as of yesterday or maybe today's sup).  They were briefly
removed and then put back.  I'm pretty sure that for now they should
remain in std.sparc....perhaps you just need to do another sup?

Later.