Subject: Re: new virtual memory system available: UVM
To: None <>
From: Chuck Cranor <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1998 20:43:26
>> [about UVM]
>I have a silly question: what's the U stand for? Unix? Unified?

uvm used to be part of another project i was working on that started
with the letter "u" (for "universal")... however, that project mutated
into just uvm...  so the "u" doesn't really stand for anything
anymore: "uvm" is just a name that is different from (but close to) "vm".

although i do find myself chanting the mantra "uvm: new vm"
from time to time.   take that as you will.

BTW, Washington University in St. Louis ( deserves credit
for making uvm possible (by funding me).   WU's Computer and Communcations
Research Center (CCRC) and Applied Research Lab (ARL) have a great
enviroment for a graduate student who likes to hack.   friendly people,
lots of freedom, and plenty of machines to play with.  check it out if
you are considering grad school.