Subject: Re: DNS question
To: None <>
From: Dave Huang <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1998 23:29:59
On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, CyberPeasant wrote:
> I notice that "" (your return addr) is not in the DNS.
> Unless it was registered recently, I suspect a problem somewhere.
> (You should probably be masquerading your mail as "" or wherever
> you get your mail, if s'wolf is an unregistered domain)

Um, looks fine to me:   604800  MX      10   604800  MX      5   604800  MX      100  604800  A

> [root@lucy bin]# telnet 42
> Trying
> [root@lucy bin]#  (note, the machine did answer a ping).

42 is the wrong port; named runs on 53.

sloth ~> telnet 53
Connected to
Escape character is '^]'.

Anyways, most DNS queries use UDP, not TCP... (I think only zone
transfer uses TCP?)

As for Greywolf's original problem, I dunno... maybe run tcpdump and see
what sorts of things are being sent out the ISP link.
INet:   |   they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++