Subject: DNS question
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Computo Ergo Checksum <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1998 20:01:20
I have the unfortunate problem of being on the other end of an ISP
(no dedicated link for meeeeeeee), so naturally I have a nameserver
set up to deal with all the necessary resolutions (localhost,
ISP router, ISP nameserver, and both ends of my PPP link) locally.

My resolv.conf file looks like this:
----begin resolv.conf
lookup file bind
----end resolv.conf

Yet every time I do:

% telnet
% telnet localhost
% telnet
% telnet starwolf

[all of which should resolve locally!], I hear my modem dial out and try
to connect with my ISP.

Yes, I'm running named, and yes, I have a localhost definition as well
as a reverse definition.  Why is it insisting on looking elsewhere for
those definitions which should resolve to localhost?

nslookup works without a hitch, BTW.  What's up with this?

If you need any further files, let me know...

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
 for they become subtle and quick to anger."	-- J. R. R. Tolkien