Subject: Re: make of pkg tk80 fails on NetBSD/pmax 1.3.
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: the Riz <riz@beast.boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1998 08:12:34
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> >Investigation shows that the linker is failing because the pkg system
> >isn't making the symlinks required by NetBSD's ELF subsystem (At
> >least, they're required on a pmax, and I copied the setup from the
> >alpha.  See the symlink rules in bsd.lib.mk.)

I can confirm the same sort of problems occur on alpha;  I was actively
working on it, but I'm unfamiliar with the workings of ELF.  I asked a few
questions that went unanswered, and I sorta lost interest in it.

Another problem that I've noticed with packages that build (or require)
libraries:  most packages are set up to use 'ldconfig -r' to determine if a
given shared lib is present... this obviously doesn't work under ELF.
What's the best substitute?  I could've fixed a bunch of stuff with that
knowledge...

> Again, see either bsd.lib.mk, or the ELF imake template in our X11 tree.
> Unless someone can confirm this all `Just Works'  on  NetBSD/Alpha?

Nope, same sorts of problems.

> Not to knock the package people, they're clearly doing an incredibly
> useful job on a.out systems, and possilby Alphas, but this is *very*
> frustrating to see after being encouraged to make binary packages...

I'll volunteer to help sort some of this out, at least on the Alpha... I
don't necessarily know a whole lot, but I *do* have a machine running
netbsd 1.3 on an Alpha, and I'm willing to do some work.

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz