Subject: Re: IP DF problems (again)
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1998 14:31:24
> Is there a way to tell the NetBSD 1.2 router to fragment the packets so
> they would get through?  I have mailed to the postmaster of the sender
> system, but if every single m$ driven machine in the world has this problem,
> I will spend the rest of my life trying to convince them to get their TCP/IP
> fixed... :-(

Microsoft's stack can and should be responding to the ICMP message.
It's probably behind a firewall that's filtering all ICMP traffic.
The short answer is to send a flame to the postmaster there telling
them to stop blocking ICMP must fragment packets if they want reliable
connectivity to the outside world from their crappy Microsoft machines.
(Of course, any machine that does MTU discovery will have the same
problem.)

			       _MelloN_