Subject: Re: fs acl's
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/1998 19:24:23
On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:31:10 -0800 (PST)  Dustin Sallings wrote:

> 	Are there any plans to support filesystem ACL's Solaris style?  I just
> discovered this, and it would make my life a *lot* easier in a lot of places:

I don't like ACLs.  This may be mere prejudice, but:

o no two Unix versions implemented them the same way (HP-UX, Solaris,
  any others?)

o adding them effects too much code, and not just the kernel either:
  - filesystem code
  - dump and restore
  - tar, cpio etc (optionally, and frequently not changed by vendors)
  - ls, chown, chmod, ...

All in all, I've found that a creative use of group memberships and/or
the odd setgid binary has worked sufficiently well to allow me to
avoid ACLs.

I hesitate to think what happens with ACLs and NFS!

Regards,

Giles