Subject: Re: Status of Kerberos IV or 5
To: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
From: Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1998 01:22:15
Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu> writes:
> > but hey, that's going to change :-) ), but it's hard if you want to
> > display apps from random system X, which is the whole point of having
> > authenticated X connections in the first place :-)
>
> I think it would be completely worth it.

I don't agreee.

It would give you unportable and broken authentication.

The right thing to do would be to define and implement
authentication/encryption in X.  (If you're going to be unportable you
might as well get the functionality you want.)  And then make all the
vendors incorporate it.  I don't think that is going to happen.
(You're very welcome to prove me wrong :-)

The practical way is to use something like kx.

/assar