Subject: Re: ptys are not always freed
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1998 11:52:08
On Sat, Jan 24, 1998 at 09:50:37PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I've noticed this problem on various operating systems (most or all
> with at least their networking based on *BSD).  NetBSD recently seems to
> be exceptionally prone to this behaviour.

I saw this problem on AIX some 7 years ago and IBM did nothing, despite
of our bug reports.  I was happy that NetBSD didn't have this problem
(I've never seen it on 0.9, 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2) but now I don't think I can
upgrade all systems to 1.3 because I can _not_ allow this problem on
public Internet machines.  Many people are using pine and screen on our
servers...

I wonder what has happened between 1.2 and 1.3 that made this problem
show up (or show up more often than before)?

  -jm