Subject: Re: WWW NetBSD Site
To: Matt Chapman <matt@duh.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1998 01:04:54
Matt Chapman writes:
> The left yellow bar background is now gone and it is pretty much the same
> as the old site. With a few exceptions.  Now, on the top of each page,
> except the main one, is a perl selector script for navigation and also the
> front page now has red colored,beveled headers to brighten up the page a
> bit.  All images have been given alt tags for lynx compliance..

[ i don't think i made this clear in my last post (about my feelings
  on page style), but i'm not trying to attack you or your effort;
  i think it's commendable that you're willing to put in the effort.
  now, if only (evil overlord voice) ``i can bend you to my will
  bwa hah hah haar!'' ;-]

a point that i believe has been overlooked (probably because it's not
been mentioned yet) is that the current site has *no* dependance on
cgi or perl or anything like that except for a couple of scripts to
do the gnats db searching and the like.

the rest of the site is just HTML files. and i'd prefer it to stay
that way? why? - because some of us who run the www.XX.netbsd.org
mirrors run them on machines where we don't want to run cgi or perl
on them because they are `restricted installation' machines (i.e,
they do a couple of tasks and have all that's required to do that).
in fact, the only reason i upgraded {ftp,www}.au.netbsd.org from a
386dx-40 was because a sparc classic takes less rack space, and
ssh is a bit faster. other than that, a really low end box has the
grunt to serve files via ftp and www. start adding cgi et al, and
you introduce performance problems and potential security problems -
and the latter is most important.

also, i personally don't want a site that has too much dependance
upon ``funky stuff'' features in the www server because future www
mirrors may be running on totally different hardware that we can't
dictate what they run except ``serve these pages''

that said, if you can work out a way to maybe generate the indices
and maps from a master source copy, and it's those generated files
that are served, then i feel that would be a better solution.