Subject: Re: -current kernel compile error and fix
To: Space Case <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1998 12:56:07
On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 04:47:10PM -0800, Space Case wrote:

> How about, did you actually do a config on your kernel after rebuilding
> config?

Yeah - it ended up being naught but a missing "include" directive. I
actually deleted the compile directory, so that it would have as fresh
a start as is possible. (Um... Before I started compiling, that is. I
didn't wipe it out for that one include! Heh.)

Someone said that the fix had been popped into the official sources, so
I guess it's a non-issue now, although my last sup didn't overwrite the
changes I'd made... I need to look at how sup works, I guess.

Oh. Wait. While I've got your ear... I *hate* having PID_MAX set to a
five-digit number. Is there any way I can change it from my config file?
Or must I actually edit it from within /sys/sys/proc.h? Just curious. It
would be far more convenient to have that be modifiable from within the
config file.

If there isn't a workable method now, how can I submit changes to the
official source? Something like this, applied to /sys/sys/proc/h:

> #ifndef       PID_MAX
> #else
> #define       NO_PID          (PID_MAX) + 1
> #endif

Also, I've got a couple drive quirks that should make it into the source.
I'd love to submit both this and those... (Well... There's one quirk that
needs to be re-confirmed, so I've actually only got two quirks to submit.)

Thanks in advance for the pointers!

Mason Loring
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments
 dropped from day's caravan."--Rabindranath Tagore...awake ? sleep : dream;