Subject: Status of Kerberos IV or 5
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John C. Hayward <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/1998 23:01:53
Dear NetBSDers,
   What is the current status of Kerberos on NetBSD 1.3?  Here is what
I found for something like passwd.
   - in /usr/src/domestic/usr.bin/passwd you can make a version of
password which seems to be kerberos IV
   - in /usr/src/usr.bin/passwd there seems to be some facilities in
the Makefile and krb5_passwd.c with a october time frame but if you
uncomment /usr/share/mk/ KERBEROS5=yes and issue make
does compile krb5_passwd.c and doing a make -D KERBEROS5 does compile
krb5_passwd.c but results in a lot of compiler errors about missing
includes among other things.

   Is kerberosIV fully supported if you build things in /usr/src/domestic?
Is the KerberosV implementations under development?

    I have made some changed to xdm in X11 from XFree which will allow
logging in to get a kerberos ticket and have a different set for
kerberosIV and kerberosV.  I'd prefer to work with KerberosV but will
settel for KerberosIV if it is fully functional (I notice that register
seems to be missing).