Subject: Re: what will it take to run gcc 2.8.0?
To: tim <tim@ebf.com>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/1998 19:32:09
On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, tim wrote:

> what would it take to run gcc 2.8.0 on NetBSD-current?  i think a
> newer version of gas is required to build it.  is that correct?  are
> there known problems with upgrading gas?  anything else?

I haven't tried gcc 2.8.0, but egcs need a newer gas, and it is
based on gcc 2.8.0... (you can use NetBSD's gas if you configure
egcs to use setjmp/longjmp exceptions, so it is probably true
for gcc too.)

You cannot use binutils 2.8.1 on the a.out machines, since binutils
doesn't support our a.out format. I'm working on porting it, but I
don't have too much time at the moment. My goal is to finish it first
week in February.

   /Krister