Subject: current-users online index: replies
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.futureone.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/1998 23:37:30
I got some positive feedback from some people who tried out my archives today..
 Just wanted to say thanks, and publicly answer a few questions..

1: It only loads the whole digest, not just the individual emails:

Thats because keeping the whole archive set broken apart on my provider would
take up a tonnage of space.. and they would immediately have a big fit. Even if
I wrote a little seek trick and grabbed only the article.. I would either need
to do some complex ftp to a temp file, or keep all the digests there..  both of
which would be poor.

2: Email addresses appear in the digests:

Yeah.. they do.. only in text form though.. I guess a webparser could snarf
them out..  I would love to run a quick sed on them and pull them out.. but
again.. the links in my engine just point to ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/etc/etc.

3: http://www.futureone.com/garbled returns a 404.
<slap self>  try ~garbled.   ugh..  sorry about that.

If number two is a real concern for people.. I can take the links to the ftp
digests out.. It would kinda suck.. but I don't want spam just as much as
everyone else here.  If this is something we want on the actual netbsd page..
I'd be glad to fidget the script to pull out the articles and what not
individually.

I'll try to put up the rest of current-users by wed.  I only have enough web
space for about 1 more archive.  The hash file for current-users is about 2
megs.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.futureone.com
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html