Subject: Re: wdc* at sb?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/1998 22:47:58
Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> : Based on a quick reading of the GENERIC i386 config file, NetBSD currently
> : has no support for drive controllers attached to sound cards.  Is this
> : correct?  Is there any chance of getting such support at any time in the
> : future?  How difficult would it be?
>
> Assuming the controller is a `real' IDE controller, and you know the
> I/O port and IRQ, try changing the wdc1 definition to:

  A recent CD-ROM came with an ISA IDE interface card.  I used
it as an IDE controller for hard disk drives under NetBSD with no
problems.  I set wdc1 to 0x170 irq 15.  So the sound-card one
will probably work fine.

  Looking at the card, it contains only 4 chips -- 3 74LS
series 50-cent chips, and a simple PAL to generate enable
signals.  Is this all that is really needed for a `real' IDE
controller, or at least one that works with the PIO modes?

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering