Subject: Re: CD-R with NetBSD-1.3?
To: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/1998 13:54:05
	The notes I read in the cdrecord man pages and readmes indicate that
the WORM identity with which older CD-r drives identify themselves is
completely erronious.  Since the traditional WORM devices are a far cry
from CD players, we should probably have a separate driver for them.  My
solution has ben not to worry about driver support under NetSBD per say and
let cdrecord figure it out.  The down side to this is that I cannot
actually read cds on the same drive on which I burn them.  To do taht, I'd
have to hack the code that assigns devices to drivers.  While that might be
fine for me, I don't think it would be a good idea to try and put code in
the NetBSD tre which would try to go beyond the device type code, which in
this case is WORM (4), and rely on huristics, a quirk table if you will,
which would assign devices to drivers.  CD-Rs under Unix are a little
esoterik anyway, and as such, deserve a little higher knowledge on the part
of the user.  That said, however, some documentation showing how this stuff
fits together would be nice.
-Brian