Subject: Re: Support for Adaptec AIC-7895?
To: Robert Agustin, Jr. <agustin@apicom.com>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1998 13:43:16
>Thanks for the response! :)
>
>Is there anything that I might be able to do to help whoever's doing this
>out?  (like alpha/beta testing, etc.)

Well, the main thing that needs to be decided is how to go about bringing
in these changes to NetBSD.  CAM is quite a bit different than the Julian
E. derived SCSI layers that both NetBSD and FreeBSD currently use.  Porting
the CAM aic7xxx driver back to the old SCSI layer would be challenging
especially in regards to error recovery.

I really have no idea how NetBSD wants it's SCSI/ATAPI system to progress
in the future.  CAM was developed to make error recovery and the
implementation of advanced SCSI/ATAPI features easier as well as more
robust. It does not yet have ATAPI functionality, nor does it support all
of the controllers and peripherals that the old layer does, but there is
work in progress to address these issues.  Once the work is complete, I
hope that NetBSD might consider using it, but it's not my place to make
that decision for the project.  Until that time, I will aid whomever
wishes to port the driver back to NetBSD in that task, but I don't have
the time to do it myself.  I think that mjacob was signed up for this
at one time.

--
Justin