Subject: Re: problem building qt
To: Todd Vierling , Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@law.roc.servtech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1998 11:48:12
At 5:07 PM -0500 1/11/98, Todd Vierling wrote:
>On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Paul Kranenburg wrote:
>
>: > A generic solution is to remove c++rt0 from the qt library altogether.
>: > NetBSD doesn't need it linked in at all.
>:
>: That's not a definition of "generic solution" that I had in mind..
>:
>: c++rt0.o is provided as an aid to build shared libraries which have
>: statically declared C++ constructors/destructors in them. Any such
>: library that opts to compile with `-fPIC' cannot currently use the
>: installed /usr/lib/c++rt0.o, since that's compiled with `-fpic'.
>
>Well, for qt, this is a generic enough solution as qt constructs no classes
>at startup.  I'm not sure for other libraries, but kde (built upon qt) works
>great without linking in c++rt0.

I have no position on whether this is the _right_ way to fix this, but it
did work. I removed c++rt0 from the qt makefile, and it built ok.

Since the qt pkg won't build, there should be a pr, but I'm reluctant to
send one until a clean fix is agreed on.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614