Subject: Re: problem building qt
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/1998 17:07:23
On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Paul Kranenburg wrote:

: > A generic solution is to remove c++rt0 from the qt library altogether.
: > NetBSD doesn't need it linked in at all.
:
: That's not a definition of "generic solution" that I had in mind..
:
: c++rt0.o is provided as an aid to build shared libraries which have
: statically declared C++ constructors/destructors in them. Any such
: library that opts to compile with `-fPIC' cannot currently use the
: installed /usr/lib/c++rt0.o, since that's compiled with `-fpic'.

Well, for qt, this is a generic enough solution as qt constructs no classes
at startup.  I'm not sure for other libraries, but kde (built upon qt) works
great without linking in c++rt0.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price