Subject: CD-R with NetBSD-1.3?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1998 14:24:34
I noticed that people were talking about CD-R's earlier on this list, so
maybe somebody out there has gone through this and can help me out:

I've got an HP 4020i CD-R drive, and I can't write CD's with it.  I'm
using cdrecord from the pkg system, compiled a couple days ago, and a
kernel I compiled from the 1.3 sources on ftp.netbsd.org.  SCSI controller
is an AIC-6360, and I've unplugged all other SCSI devices from it.  This
is an i386, BTW.

I linked /dev/scgx -> /dev/cd0d (cd0 is successfully attached at boot
time, and I can use the drive as a normal CD-ROM via this).

Cdrecord can successfully inquire (-inq) and identify (-checkdrive), but
it won't actually write anything.  It sits for a few minutes, then it says
"CD-Recorder not ready."  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Script started on Thu Jan  8 14:01:41 1998
# cdrecord -v -V -dummy dev=3D2,0 speed=3D2 /usr/cdimage.iso
Cdrecord release 1.5 Copyright (C) 1995-1997 J=F6rg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 =3D CD-ROM
scsidev: '2,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 2 lun: 0

Executing 'test unit ready' command on Bus 0 Target 2, Lun 0 timeout 20s
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
cdrecord: Undefined error: 0. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: no error
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes:
Sense Key: 0xFFFFFFFF [], Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x00 (no additional sense information) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)=20

[previous 9 lines repeated approx. eleventy-billion times]

cdrecord: CD-Recorder not ready.
#=20
Script done on Thu Jan  8 14:10:40 1998

Chris

----
Chris Jones                                      cjones@rupert.oscs.montana=
=2Eedu
           Mad scientist in training...
"Is this going to be a stand-up programming session, sir, or another bug hu=
nt?"