Subject: rcp + NIS problem on 1.3_ALPHA
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/1998 17:19:12
We have 7 machines running 1.3_ALPHA (haven't had time to upgrade to 1.3
yet) and just yesterday we noticed the following problem.

On one particular machine, when you attempt to run rcp to get a file
from any other machine, the following message is displayed:

   rcp: rcp: rshrcmd: setuid(118): Operation not permitted

(rcp'ing *to* another machine works just fine).

One of the few differences between this machine and the others (on which
rcp works just fine) is the following entry in /etc/passwd:

This is just prior to the normal

that calls in all the user info from NIS. Now it just happens that the
uid of "auser" is 118. Not only that, but when I move the "+auser" line
out of the way, rcp works just fine.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Would a ktrace of the rcp help?
(I did one, but didn't want to waste list bandwidth with it).