Subject: Re: concern about -current tree
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1998 12:41:28
On Sun, 04 Jan 1998 15:39:05 -0500
 "Michael C. Richardson" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

 >   The vfork() changes appear to force me to get a new kernel to get a new
 > make binary working, if something forces me to rebuild libc. Right now, I
 > can rebuild make with the 1.3 libc, ignore the vfork() changes.
 >
 >   If, however, something goes into libc, or yacc, or lex, etc. that
 > make/gcc/config needs, then we restart the the difficulties of tracking
 > - -current. The stat/stat13 change was difficult enough to deal with.

Well, the calls that make uses are the same.  If you build a new new new make
with old libs and includes, it will work just fine.  It's always been the
case, though, that new libc meant you should have your kernel up-to-date.

I think the point here is that more frequent binary snapshots are needed.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935