Subject: concern about -current tree
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael C. Richardson <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1998 15:39:05

  I understand the pent-up desire to hack and make changes to code as 1.3 has
been on the release cycle. I think it is very cool :-)

  I'd really like to know, as I upgrade my base to 1.3, and likely stick with
it for awhile, when to plan to move towards 1.3.1, or 1.4. I don't mind
release dates moving, just so long as we know what is being moved :-)

  Basically, I'd like to see a point release (possibly just a source
snapshot or diff!) everytime that something occurs to force me to rebuild
me toolchain.

  The vfork() changes appear to force me to get a new kernel to get a new
make binary working, if something forces me to rebuild libc. Right now, I
can rebuild make with the 1.3 libc, ignore the vfork() changes.

  If, however, something goes into libc, or yacc, or lex, etc. that
make/gcc/config needs, then we restart the the difficulties of tracking
- -current. The stat/stat13 change was difficult enough to deal with.

   :!mcr!:            |  Sandelman Software Works Corporation, Ottawa, ON
   Michael Richardson |Network and security consulting and contract programming
 Personal: PGP key available.

Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: latin1