Subject: Re: The curse of the ncurses package
To: Robert Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/1998 10:17:50
Hi,

This is *not* a Mac dependent thing. If you are installing ncurses for the
*first* time (ie., there is absolutely no trace of any ncurses anywhere,
even pkg_delete does not clean it all out), then you will have this
problem. Once again, the crux of the problem is:

1) During the "install" process, the libraries are placed in

   /usr/pkg/include/ncurses

2) During the "post-install" process, the mv and sed expect the *.h
   file to be in

   /usr/pkg/include

3) When the post-install process cannot find the *.h files in the place
   it expects, it barfs.

I cannot see how this is going to be a Mac dependent problem. You need to
test this on a system that has *never* had ncurses installed on it.

When 1.3 comes out, I will try installing ncurses on my Centris 650. I am
waiting for 1.3 to become finalk before I upgrade that one. BTW, the
ncurses package dies if you try to install it on 1.2x (mtree illegal
option -C). If I try to do a make && make install on the system where I
have already installed it, it will work and you will not learn anything.

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Robert Nestor wrote:

> Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
>
> >> However, both the 'mv' and the 'sed' fail because the files are *not* in
> >> /usr/pkg/include but rather in /usr/pkg/include/ncurses.  I have attached
> >> the diffs of a Makefile that I created that works.  Please have the main
> >> Makefile updated as soon as possible.
> >
> >Huh? I've just rebuilt pkgsrc/devel/ncurses to make sure, and at the
> >very beginning of "make install", I get this:
>
> Hubert,
>
> I just did a "make clean;make install" in pkgsrc/devel/ncurses on a 1.3
> BETA system built from Dec 20th sources on a Mac without a problem.  This
> was without any special user patches or changes onmy part. As far as I
> can tell there's no problem with the ncurses package that's in -current.
> I've saved the build output if you'd like to take a look at it.

Bob, as I noted above, this only happens when it is the first install of
ncurses. Doing a make clean, or even a pkg_delete does not clean it out
enough to reproduce the problem. You could go through and clean out all
ncurses files by hand and then you would see it.

Mark

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/