Subject: The curse of the ncurses package
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1998 15:12:01

--0-1756230074-883721521=:12000

Hi,

I have tried contacting the maintainer of the ncurses package previously
about a problem running the 'make install.' Basically, if you are
installing ncurses for the first time, the 'make' succeeds, but the 'make
install' bombs out at:

-------------------
installing std
installing stdcrt
installing vt100
installing vt300
cd test; make   INSTALL_PREFIX="" install
cd c++; make   INSTALL_PREFIX="" install
mv /usr/pkg/include/curses.h /usr/pkg/include/ncurses.h
mv: rename /usr/pkg/include/curses.h to /usr/pkg/include/ncurses.h: No
such file
 or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
-------------------

Let me point out that *yes* I am using the latest pkgsrc Makefile and
*yes* I am using the latest 'bsd.port.mk' file.  Well, after a couple of
weeks of no answer from the port maintainer, I found the time to dive
ahead and fix the problem myself. As I suspected, there is a bug in the
ncurses port Makefile itself.  In the "post-install" section of the
Makefile, it has:

-------------------
post-install:
        mv ${PREFIX}/include/curses.h ${PREFIX}/include/ncurses.h
        rm -f ${PREFIX}/lib/libcurses.a
        ( cd ${PREFIX}/include ; for i in form.h menu.h panel.h ; do \
          sed '/#include/s|curses.h|ncurses.h|g' $$i >$$i.BAK ; \
          mv $$i.BAK $$i ; done )
        ldconfig -m ${PREFIX}/lib
-------------------

However, both the 'mv' and the 'sed' fail because the files are *not* in
/usr/pkg/include but rather in /usr/pkg/include/ncurses.  I have attached
the diffs of a Makefile that I created that works.  Please have the main
Makefile updated as soon as possible.

Finally, I understand that it is the end of the year/beginning of a new
year. I also understand that everyone is busy with getting 1.3 out the
door. However, for the NetBSD "packages" to be as useful as the FreeBSD
"ports" are, the individual package maintainers are going to have to be
responsive to problems. IMHO, if the user has to do anything more than
'make && make install', then the package is not complete.

I am not a programmer, but I am studying 'make' so that I can maintain
some packages as well in the near future. I also am very willing to test
out any packages that people are working on. I have two Macs running
NetBSD and I have enough HD space that I can test packages for people.
Let's make the packages work for everyone.

Best wishes for the New Year,

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/

--0-1756230074-883721521=:12000
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--0-1756230074-883721521=:12000--