Subject: Re: Crashing after adding more RAM on i386 (total of 128M)
To: None <explorer@flame.org>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/01/1998 18:27:15
explorer@flame.org wrote:

> I can reliably crash my machine after adding more memory, for a total
> of 128M in SDRAM DIMMS.  It happens when a program is using nearly all
> the ram, and a good deal of the swap.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 	(1)  Is this likely bad memory, or
>
> 	(2)  Is NetBSD unable to handle running out of swap?

The last time I tried NetBSD/mac68k without any swap at all, the machine
simply hung when it ran out of swap, no crashing.  This was probably
before the new swap configuration stuff, tho, so I don't know how well it
handles it today...either way, I'd say that NetBSD doesn't handle running
out of swap very gracefully.

> On the first crash, I had less swap than ram (96M swap, 128M ram) but
> on the second crash I had another 128M in a vnd file added to the swap.
> It seemed to take much longer to crash that time, but crash it did.
>
> The error (which flashed by my screen fast, and I have no crash dump)
> mentioned "changebit" or something with "change" and "bit" in it.  ;)

Yeah, you're probably running out of swap.  Try doing the same while
running "systat vmstat" to watch your vm usage.

Later.