Subject: Re: Bandwidth available in Canada
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/1997 23:07:37
On 1 Jan 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> David Jones <dej@inode.org> wrote:
> > I recently got an ADSL Internet connection installed into my home.
> >
> > This service provides 1 Mbps Internet, connecting to the former CA*Net
> > backbone, with good service to the US backbone providers as well.
> >
> > Is there anything really useful that I can do with this to help the NetBSD
> > project?
>
> You can export domestic stuff to from the US to CA without violating that
> ITAR export restriction, right? Go and set up a mirror of ftp.netbsd.ort! :-)

Yes, but once it is in Canada it is still bound by very similar rules to
the original US export restrictions even though other stuff (ie. not
imported from the US) wouldn't be subject to such restrictions.

Now, the legal basis for this and the exact nature and extent of legal
action for such violations in Canada is a more complex issue.