Subject: Re: FTP/SUP server status 12/25
To: William J. Coldwell <billc@warped.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/1997 16:41:52
[ Whee, still catching up on my mail... ]

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997 21:39:12 -0800 (PST)
 "William J. Coldwell" <billc@warped.com> wrote:

I'd just like to say that I appreciate very much the effort put forth by
all who got this service back up and running during the holiday.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to keep up with what was going on, because
my connectivity went away due to a longer-than-expected NASA facilities
shutdown...

Cheers, folks!

 > Happy Holidays.
 >
 > During the move, we had one of the 3 4G Seagate Barracuda's decide to visit
 > that happy hard-drive heaven place.  It was unfortunant, because the timing
 > of the move, my free time, and Murphy, all collided.  I had a backup of the
 > ftp/sup parition, but not of the root drive (Bad Bill!).  This has caused
 > major havoc on the people who spent time helping me rebuild the system,
 > who had better things to do, like spending Christmas Eve and Christmas
 > with people who are much nice and fun to be around than me :).  Despite that
 > the damage would have been much worse if it had been the ftp/sup directory
 > and having a backup of the root disk, some feel that a public flogging is
 > necessary.. So I offer myself for public mutilation and humiliation for any
 > inconvience that this has caused you, the Portmaster, core and Santa Claus.
 >
 > To make a long, torturous story short.  All services have been restored for
 > the NetBSD distributions, and the sup/ftp is up to date.
 >
 > We thank Paul Vixie for giving us the new home (cool rackmount case) and
 > 10Mb bandwidth, plus setting aside some of his time over the holiday to
 > make it happen.  Charles and Perry spent a lot of their time configuring
 > the machine up from scratch and reinstalling the NetBSD developer accounts
 > on the machine.
 >
 > Again, my sincere apologies.
 > --billc

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935