Subject: Re: Problem with exports
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/1997 02:09:53
On Sun, Dec 28, 1997 at 06:04:12PM -0000, Robert Nestor wrote:
> Thanks Erik.  Frank van der Linden suggested putting a "lookup file" in
> my /etc/resolv.conf and making sure I had sufficent information in my
> /etc/hosts file.  That solved the problem. I read the man page months ago
> when I first set this up on my 1.2.1 system but must confess I haven't
> read it that closely recently.

Just to summarize for people on the list: the problem is that mountd
uses getnetbyname(), which goes to the nameserver. This query seems
to fail in this particular case (it times out).

The workaround is to prevent getnetbyname() from using DNS in this case
by

	1) adding the line "lookup file bind" to /etc/resolv.conf
	2) creating a /etc/networks file with a line like
	   "my_network 192.168.1.0"
	3) using "my_network" in the exports file in stead of
	   192.168.1

- Frank