Subject: FTP/SUP server status 12/25
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William J. Coldwell <billc@warped.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/25/1997 21:39:12
Happy Holidays.

During the move, we had one of the 3 4G Seagate Barracuda's decide to visit
that happy hard-drive heaven place.  It was unfortunant, because the timing
of the move, my free time, and Murphy, all collided.  I had a backup of the
ftp/sup parition, but not of the root drive (Bad Bill!).  This has caused
major havoc on the people who spent time helping me rebuild the system,
who had better things to do, like spending Christmas Eve and Christmas
with people who are much nice and fun to be around than me :).  Despite that
the damage would have been much worse if it had been the ftp/sup directory
and having a backup of the root disk, some feel that a public flogging is
necessary.. So I offer myself for public mutilation and humiliation for any
inconvience that this has caused you, the Portmaster, core and Santa Claus.

To make a long, torturous story short.  All services have been restored for
the NetBSD distributions, and the sup/ftp is up to date.

We thank Paul Vixie for giving us the new home (cool rackmount case) and
10Mb bandwidth, plus setting aside some of his time over the holiday to
make it happen.  Charles and Perry spent a lot of their time configuring
the machine up from scratch and reinstalling the NetBSD developer accounts
on the machine.

Again, my sincere apologies.
--billc