Subject: Re: rcp problem?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: D. J. Vanecek <listread@bedford.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/1997 18:51:50
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I use rcp occasionally, but under 1.3_BETA the following fails:
> > > 	% rcp localhost:test /tmp/test
> > > 	rcp: rcp: rshrcmd: setuid(0): Operation not permitted
> > >

> [..]
> > {djv@ahab djv}$ rcp localhost:/home/djv/something /tmp/test
> > Permission denied.
>
> Hmm, today I can't reproduce the setuid error.. :(
> I did have localhost in .rhosts, as I have been testing rsh.
>

> > Dave
> >

> Now I'm confused...  Anyone else see a 'rcp: lost connection' when
> using rcp to a cisco router? (like: rcp router:running-config test)
> The file is copied correctly, but rcp exits with an error, which
> causes my shellscript to fail.  On NetBSD 1.2, the same command returns
> a 0.

About all I can add is that r-stuff is notoriously weak about return codes;
whether rcp suffers from this I can't say.

Oh yeah -- rcp should be suid root, contradicting another post in this
thread. It binds a privileged socket (by calling the lib routine rcmd).
I describe the case on 1.2.1; if 1.3 has changed this, well then it's
different now :)

Dave