Subject: A holiday thanks to all...
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/1997 20:02:44
With the holiday season and all, I'd like to express my thanks to the NetBSD
community for sticking with the project and contributing as much as you all
have.

Thanks to your effort, I can run a completely free operating system on an
US$80, used, Sun SPARCstation 2 that is capable of recompiling itself
completely in under five hours.  I can run an X-Windows server, and client
applications, on a 386DX-33 with just 6MB RAM and 20MB disk cobbled
completely from unused spare parts in a back room of a computer repair shop.
I can make impressive use of the 24-bit GVP Spectrum video card housed in my
Amiga 3000.  And I can serve up tens of thousands of web hits daily from a
486DX-40 with a plain IDE hard drive, and still use it for mail, including
remailers of all the NetBSD mailing lists, and news reading.

This is part of what NetBSD is about--finding the little bits of computing
power that the commercial market has long left behind, and finding ways to
utilize it efficiently, fully, and securely.  Thanks to NetBSD, the powerful
computing force I personally use has cost me less than US$1000, hardware
and software included.

>From portmasters, to developers, to users, to that random casual user that
only runs NetBSD occasionally yet talks very well of it at the MarketPro
computer shows here in Orlando (<g>), thank you all, and have a happy
holiday season.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price