Subject: Re: Keyboard freeze
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul J. Lavoie <pjl@ilx.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/1997 15:20:36
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 18:14:54 +0100 (MET)  Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Kevin Tsang wrote:
>
> ..
> .. Has anyone else had a problem with a keyboard (and eventually) system
> .. freeze under 1.3BETA with X11R6.3 and fvwm95?  I can usually get out of it
> .. once by killing fvwm95, but if it happens a second time I'm SOL.
>
> I have seen it from time to time for a few weeks, running 1.3BETA, some
> fairly recent XFree and twm. I've mostly attributed it to having started
> using xdm=yes in rc.local, where I previously started xdm manually from
> the command line.
>
> I usually happens within the first hour of usage, and telnetting into
> the machine and killing and restarting xdm normally fixes it until
> reboot.
>
> - Erik

This sounds like getty is running on the same terminal as xdm. What I've done
using the pcvt driver is leave a couple of spare terminals with no getty
running, which the X server will detect and use. I am not sure about pccons,
however.

-pjl
Paul J. Lavoie		pjl@ilx.com		(212) 510-3029
ILX Systems, Inc.	111 Fulton St		New York, NY  10038