Subject: Re: dev/MAKEDEV not portable
To: Chief Anarchic Officer <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1997 10:42:59
> How about a mknod(8) that took the following args:
>
> usage: mknod [ -n major-bits ] path {c|b} major minor

That makes significantly less sense than a perl script (which I don't
particularly like, either; there's no guarantee that systems' 'mknod'
binaries won't do something behind your back that you can't correct
for -- and I think i've seen systems do such things in the past 8-).

If you can't compile our mknod on the server system, i.e. so that you
could use our versions of the macros to create a device node from
major and minor numbers, why will you be able to compile our mknod on
the server system to get that functionality?

cgd