Subject: Re: HPC port?
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1997 08:00:53
[...]
>information related to the project under NDA from MS).  It's not that
>they refuse to allow me to have it under NDA.  It's that MS can't even
>tell me *WHO AT MS TO ASK FOR THAT INFORMATION!* AAAGGH! Every query
>ends up unanswered, referred to expensive phone support (who I fear, not
>without reason, will charge me $95 to tell me "sorry, that information
>isn't availible" wether it is or not, or just "we don't know"), or
>referred to other people who don't know.  It's truly maddening!
>[Anyone with an understanding of MS internal organization (adamg?) who
>can help me with this would earn my gratitude, or even better, I could
>send them a coupla pizzas :-)]

To be honest, if you get a legitimate case going with one of the paid
support engineers, they generally talk directly to the developers in
charge of the thing you're requesting help with, if the information
isn't available in the knowledge base.  There's a thin layer between
the paid support people and the developers and program managers.

Specifically in the case of "docfiles", I assume you're not talking
about "Word doc" files.  From my understanding these are OLE Compound
Documents (or the docfiles I believe you're referring to).

What is it you want to know about the format of docfiles?  Use the COM
IStorage interface and the on-disk format should be irrelevant.
Especially since NTFS 5.0 will have native filesystem support for
persisting docfiles onto the disk.  Maybe you could give me a little
more information on what exactly it is you're trying to find out.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.