Subject: Re: GCC problem
To: Johnny Chi-Lung Lam <jlbg+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1997 19:24:27
     [libstdio lossage with inline member functions ]

There's one darn obvious question: does this bug also occur if you get
a stock FSF G++ distribution, build it, install it in /usr/local/, and
use it to build a stock FSF libg++ and libstdio?

I'd guess maybe not.  If so, then the problem is in the NetBSD
`integration' or in one of the local NetBSD patches.

If not, then it's a g++/library incompatibility, which would probably
bite other platforms and has presumably been solved by now.

(This also happens on pmaxes using as and ld from stock binutils
2.8.1, so The toolchain is not a factor.)

>>         Removing the "inline" from the declaration of hex (and dec and oct)[1]
>> makes it work.  Probably make it a little slower but at least it will compile.
>> (As for why it helps...??, but it does)

>Won't this fail if you include iostream.h in multiple source files and
>link them together?

Yes, probably, unless you also add `static'.
>I hope the real fix makes it before 1.3 gets released.

Virtually no chance.